- Visit 'Peace In Jerusalem'
- for more comprehensive
ongoing reports by Retired Pastor/Teacher James McCutchan - Jmccutchan@aol.com
- HOLY FIRE CEREMONY DRAWS THOUSANDS IN JERUSALEM
Christian pilgrims hold candles at the church of the Holy Sepulcher,
traditionally believed to be the burial site of Jesus Christ,
during the ceremony of the Holy Fire in Jerusalem's Old City,
Saturday, April 19, 2014. The "holy fire" was passed
among worshippers outside the Church and then taken to the Church
of the Nativity in the West Bank town of Bethlehem, where tradition
holds Jesus was born, and from there to other Christian communities
in Israel and the West Bank. (AP Photo - Dan Balilty)
By IAN DEITCH From Associated Press - April 19, 2014 4:01 PM
JERUSALEM (AP) The dark hall inside Christianity's holiest
shrine was illuminated with the flames from thousands of candles
on Saturday as worshippers participated in the holy fire ceremony,
a momentous spiritual event in Orthodox Easter rites.
- Christians believe Jesus was crucified, buried and resurrected
at the site where the Church of the Holy Sepulcher now stands
in the Old City of Jerusalem. While the source of the holy fire
is a closely guarded secret, believers say the flame appears
spontaneously from his tomb on the day before Easter to show
Jesus has not forgotten his followers.
- The ritual dates back at least 1,200 years.
- Thousands of Christians waited outside the church for it
to open Saturday morning. Custody of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
is shared by a number of denominations that jealously guard their
responsibilities under a fragile network of agreements hammered
out over the last millennia. In accordance with tradition, the
church's doors were unlocked by a member of a Muslim family,
who for centuries has been the keeper of the ancient key that
is passed on within the family from generation to generation.
- Once inside, clergymen from the various Orthodox denominations
in robes and hoods jostled for space with local worshippers and
pilgrims from around the world.
- Top Orthodox clergymen descended into the small chamber marking
the site of Jesus' tomb as worshippers eagerly waited in the
dim church clutching bundles of unlit candles and torches.
- After a while, candles emerged lit with "holy fire"
said to have been lit by a miracle as a message to the
faithful from heaven.
- Bells rang as worshippers rushed to use the flames to ignite
their own candles.
- In mere seconds, the bursts of light spread throughout the
cavernous church as flames jumped from one candle to another.
Clouds of smoke wafted through the crammed hall as flashes from
cameras and mobile phones documented what is for many, the spiritual
event of a lifetime.
- IS THE FAMOUS NEW ISRAELI SUPREME COURT TO BE PUT TO WORK
TO CONVICT ISRAELIS?
- Al Jazeera 2014-03-29 For the first time Israel's Supreme
Court is set to consider evidence on April 2 that senior Israeli
political and military officials committed war crimes in relation
to major military operations in Gaza and Lebanon. Former Prime
Minister Ehud Olmert and his Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, the
current justice minister, are among the high-level figures accused
of breaking the laws of war when they launched attacks on Lebanon
in 2006, and on Gaza in the winter of 2008-09. The allegations
have been levelled by Marwan Dalal, the only Israeli lawyer to
have served as a senior prosecutor in one of the international.
- For the first time Israel's Supreme Court is set to consider
evidence on April 2 that senior Israeli political and military
officials committed war crimes in relation to...
The People's Voice 2014-04-01
Father of Palestinian youth killed by soldiers in Budrus petitions
High Court to end delay in investigation (B'Tselem - The Israeli
Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories)
- Ahmad 'Awad, whose son Samir was shot and killed by soldiers
near the Separation Barrier in the West Bank village of Budrus,
Israel's High Court of Justice together with...
Israeli Crimes Go Unpunished
- They're longstanding. They continue daily. The Palestinian
Center for Human Rights (PCHR) highlights them. It did so in
its 2013 annual report. PCHR Director Raji Sourani...
The People's Voice 2014-03-30 http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/03/israel-high-court-consider-war-
- THE WORLD COMMUNITY WANTS 12 ISRAELIS PROSECUTED FOR WAR
- ISRAELI GOVERNMENT STATES THEY CANNOT PROSECUTE THEIR OWN
RETIRED LEADERS DUE TO INADEQUATE EVIDENCE ANOTHER OBJECTION
BY ISRAELIS IS THE FACT THAT PALESTINE IS NOT A COUNTRY
- NO RULE OF LAW??
- INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT REFUSES TO PROSECUTE ISRAELI
- Page has a list of links to VIDEO commentaries.
- THOUSANDS OF JERUSALEM ARABS WITHOUT WATER
- By JON GERBERG From Associated Press April 07, 2014 1:30
PM EST JERUSALEM (AP) Tens of thousands of Palestinians
living in east Jerusalem have been without running water for
more than a month, victims of a decrepit and overwhelmed infrastructure
and caught in a legal no-man's land caused by the divisions of
the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- The residents of the Shuafat refugee camp are technically
part of the Jerusalem municipality. But they live outside the
massive West Bank separation barrier that Israel has built. So
Israeli services are sparse, yet Palestinian authorities are
barred from operating there or developing the water system.
- The local Israeli water authority says the existing system
of pipes cannot handle the rapid population growth of the area
and it is scrambling to solve the problem. Last week, the Israeli
Supreme Court gave officials 60 days to find a solution.
- But with the scorching summer season approaching, residents
are growing increasingly desperate. Basic tasks like brushing
teeth are a challenge. Showers have become a luxury. Families
often send their clothes to relatives elsewhere in the city to
- "Sixty days that's a lot of time for us,"
said Hani Taha, a local butcher. "There will be chaos here."
- PEACE TALKS ON DEATH BED AS PALESTINIANS ISSUE FRESH DEMANDS
- Monday, April 07, 2014 | Israel Today Staff - Just days after
all but quitting the Oslo peace process by unilaterally
approaching the United Nations for recognition, the Palestinian
Authority over the weekend issued fresh demands of Israel that
effectively killed the current round of negotiations.
- The current US-brokered negotiations are scheduled to last
until April 29, by which point the Americans had hoped to have
a framework agreement in place. But Palestinian leaders told
Palestinian media that for the talks to extend even one day beyond
that deadline, Israel must meet new conditions.
- Just days after all but quitting the Oslo peace
process by unilaterally approaching the United Nations for recognition,
the Palestinian Authority over the weekend issued fresh demands
of Israel that effectively killed the current round of negotiations.
The current US-brokered negotiations are scheduled to last until
April 29, by which point the Americans had hoped to have a framework
agreement in place. But Palestinian leaders told Palestinian
media that for the talks to extend even one day beyond that deadline,
Israel must meet new conditions.
- According to the new demands, Israel must immediately: Recognize
the eastern half of Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine;
Release senior jailed terrorist leaders; Lift all embargoes against
Allow the return of the terrorists who took over and desecrated
Bethlehems Church of the Nativity in 2002;
Halt all building of new Jewish homes in parts of Jerusalem claimed
by the Palestinians (ie. Gilo, French Hill, Pisgat Zeev); and
Stop entering Palestinian Authority-controlled areas to arrest
These demands come just day after Palestinian leader Mahmoud
Abbas signed 15 treaties in a new effort to gain official recognition
for Palestinian sovereignty from the international community.
- Israeli Justice Minister and chief negotiator Tzipi Livni
insisted that in so doing, the Palestinian Authority had violated
its primary commitment in the peace process by seeking recognition
outside of a bilateral agreement.
- PALESTINIANS INVOKE JESUS IN NATIONALIST CAMPAIGN
Wednesday, February 05, 2014 | Israel Today Staff - A group of
Palestinian Arab activists denying Israel's right to control
over the Jordan Valley are invoking the teachings of Jesus by
operating under the banner "Salt of the Earth."
- It is unclear whether or not the activists are primarily
Christians, but their reference to Jesus' Sermon on the Mount
is undeniable, nor is it the first time that Palestinians, both
Christians and Muslims, have conscripted the Messiah into their
- Last Friday, the group quietly moved into the small abandoned
Jordan Valley village of Ein Hijleh just north of the Dead Sea.
The ruins of Ein Hijleh are adjacent to a still-active Christian
monastery of the same name.
- Group organizers speculate that the village was populated
up until Israel seized control of the area following the Six
Day War in 1967, because such a narrative would fit nicely with
- Salt of the Earth was established, according to organizers,
to oppose the current peace proposals put forward by both Israel
and the US under which the Jewish state would retain at least
security control over the Jordan Valley.
- The group is also diametrically opposed to recognizing Israel
as a Jewish state, another hint at the Replacement Theology that
permeates much of Palestinian society. In other words, the Palestinians,
and in particular Palestinian Christians, are the only true "salt
of the earth" in this region.
- For now the Israeli army is more or less ignoring the group.
The army has surrounded the area and is preventing additional
activists from entering Ein Hijleh, but is not moving to evacuate
those already encamped at the site.
- NETANYAHU CUTS RELATIONS WITH PALESTINE, CAN IT SURVIVE?
"...Netanyahu had redefined the word "lame," http://www.roitov.com/articles/cut.htm
- ISRAELI MINISTERS CUT OFF MEETINGS WITH PALESTINIANS
By Calev Ben-David and Jonathan Ferziger Apr 9, 2014 1:06 PM
MT - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry changed his travel plans
today to squeeze in visit to Israel and the West Bank.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered cabinet
ministers to stop meeting with their Palestinian counterparts,
a government official said, hours after the U.S. blamed Israel
for the breakdown of peace talks.
- Israeli government officials have been told to refrain from
meeting their Palestinian counterparts because the Palestinians
violated commitments made under the talks, the official said.
Israel also is considering a proposal to hold back three-quarters
of the $100 million in taxes it collects monthly on behalf of
the Palestinian Authority, arguing the money supports terrorism,
according to the official.
- Yesterday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the announcement
of 708 new Jewish homes in east Jerusalem had derailed eight
months of Mideast peace talks. Testifying before the Senate Foreign
Relations Committee, he said the sides were closer to resolving
differences over a delayed Israeli release of Palestinian prisoners
when 700 settlement units were announced in Jerusalem and,
poof, that was sort of the moment.
- While Kerry said that both sides took unhelpful actions,
some Israeli officials fumed at his suggestion that Israels
April 1 announcement of settlement construction caused the talks
- Israel will never apologize for building in Jerusalem,
Economy Minister Naftali Bennett, whose Jewish Home party is
the third-biggest faction in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahus ruling coalition, said in a Facebook post. Construction
in Jerusalem is no poof, construction in Jerusalem
is Zionism, said Bennett, whose pro-settlement faction
controls the Housing Ministry and opposes any peace deal that
creates a Palestinian state. [...]
- The breakdown came as the sides approached the April 29 expiration
of the nine months of negotiations they consented to, leaving
Kerrys efforts to extend his peace mission in tatters.
His original aspiration when he brought Israelis and Palestinians
back to the negotiating table in July after almost three years
was to reach a final accord by the end of this month.
- Kerry met in Washington today with Israeli Foreign Minister
Avigdor Liberman, who said last week that Israel has done
all that it can to reach an agreement with the Palestinians,
and the ball is now in their court. Whole Story
- ISRAEL ATTACKED FROM
- Eritrean Emblem Mafia State
- Israel is in troubles. Iran has successfully deactivated
the artificial crisis surrounding its legitimate nuclear program.
The Syrian War against mercenaries supported mainly by Western
regimes is over with Bashar al-Assad remaining in power. The
USA enforced the renewal of talks with Palestine. Israel's business
of war is crumbling.
In despair, Netanyahu called the spirits of Stalin, Hitler, Napoleon,
Churchill and Genghis Khan, and consulted the elders. "Me
too, me too!" Roosevelt shouted and added "Why do you
bother us? Start a war." "Why they never call me?"
Evo Morales cried from behind the door.
"That's true! Why didn't I think of that before?" Netanyahu
said to Lieutenant General Gantz who looked with disbelief at
the scene. Who is Morales? Zion was getting weird.
- "Bibi, I can't attack. Iran and Syria are holding talks
with the West. We have peace agreements with Jordan and Egypt.
We are talking with the Palestinians. Lebanon and Hezbollah are
too strong. If we attack them, they will blow up the entire gas
- "Who made you an officer? Be a creative, assertive,
proactive beast! We will attack Iran and Palestine!"
- "Milord Prime Minister, I cant. If we bomb Tehran
they will erase us."
- "Are you General al-Sisi's brother? A brave Zionist
general fulfils orders without questioning. Attack Iran and Palestine
in a creative way. Use our base in Eritrea."
- "Yes milord, but neither Iran nor Palestine is there."
- "They dont need to be there. Do you want our soldiers
to get hurt?" http://www.roitov.com/articles/redsea.htm
- CHRISTIAN-ZIONISTS PROBLEM - KHAZAR DNA [VIDEO]
- Posted By: NaturalWisdom - 24-Apr-2014 14:07:48 - Christian-Zionists
Problem - Khazar DNA
- It is crucial to understand that Zionist (Khazarian Jews)
Historical Claim to Israel is Unfounded. The Cabala, their most
revered book, is a hoax. Similarly, as Alfred Lillienthal explained
in [a] key 1953 essay, their claim to Israel is yet another ruse.
Zionism and the NWO are partly a recrudescence of Khazar imperialism...
- WHY Evangelists and khazars hate this video. Part I KHAZARS
Khaadimone Fakename - Mar 15, 2010
- DNA reveals ashkenazi "Jews" are not Descendants
of Abraham but of King Bulan and the Khazars
Martin Luther - Apr 21, 2013 - http://youtu.be/vmSVpsoHM9w
- Mr. Texe Marrs reports on the definitive DNA study by Dr.
Eran Elhaik of the prestigious Johns Hopkins Medical University,
reported in the Oxford Press and in The Journal of Molecular
Biology and Evolution. Dr. Elhaik reports that their DNA proves
that today's "Jews" are not of Israelite blood. Instead
the "Jews" originated in Khazaria, where the pagan
Turkic clans in that nation converted to Judaism in the eighth
- KHAZAR DNA & THE GREAT SERPENT
- Texe Marrs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drErjw5De0o
- ISRAEL HALTS PEACE TALKS WITH PALESTINIANS AGAIN??
By JOSEF FEDERMAN - From Associated Press - April 24, 2014 2:49
JERUSALEM (AP) Israel broke off Mideast peace talks and
brought the U.S.-brokered process to the brink of collapse Thursday,
protesting a reconciliation agreement between the Western-backed
Palestinian Authority and the militant group Hamas, the Jewish
state's sworn enemy.
- Israel's Security Cabinet made the decision during a marathon
emergency meeting convened to discuss the new Palestinian deal.
The rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah announced the
reconciliation plan Wednesday, meant to end a seven-year rift.
- Israel objects to any participation in Palestinian politics
by Hamas, which has killed hundreds of Israelis in suicide bombings
and other attacks over the past two decades.
- In a statement issued by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's
office, the government said it would not hold negotiations with
a government "backed by Hamas."
- "Instead of choosing peace, Abu Mazen formed an alliance
with a murderous terrorist organization that calls for the destruction
of Israel," the statement said, referring to a name Palestinian
President Mahmoud Abbas is also known by.
- The statement said Israel also would respond to Abbas' recent
decision to join 15 international conventions "with a series
of steps," language that typically refers to financial sanctions
against the Palestinians. Continued:
US UNWILLING TO GIVE UP MIDEAST PEACE PROCESS YET
WASHINGTON April 24, 2014 (AP) By LARA JAKES AP National Security
Writer - Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday that the
U.S. isn't ready to write off Mideast peace negotiations, even
after Israel broke off talks with Palestinian leaders who are
trying to create a coalition government with the militant group
- "There is always a way forward," Kerry told reporters
in brief remarks at the State Department.
- However, Kerry said Israeli and Palestinian leaders need
to make necessary compromises so that the nine months of negotiations
can continue after an April 29 deadline. If they won't, he said,
peace "becomes very elusive."
- "We will never give up our hope or our commitment for
the possibilities for peace," he said. "We believe
it is the only way to go. But right now, obviously, it's at a
very difficult point and the leaders themselves have to make
decisions. It's up to them." Continued: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-unwilling-give-mideast-peace-process-23458104
- SCHEDULE:VISIT OF POPE FRANCIS TO ISRAEL 25-26 MAY 2014
- April 3, 2014 - Information for Foreign Journalists ahead
of the Visit of Pope Francis to Israel 25-26 May 2014
- Welcome! We at the Government Press Office (GPO) wish to
extend our warm greetings and will do all that we can to facilitate
your visit and make it enjoyable and efficient. Please note the
- Please note:
- A. The State of Israel and the GPO are not responsible for
Pope Francis' visit to the Kingdom of Jordan and the Palestinian
- B. The arrival ceremony at Ben Gurion International Airport
on May 25 is the only event in Israel that will be open for coverage
(details will be issued separately). All other events will be
pool coverage only.
- Saturday, May 24, 2014
- 13:00 Arrival at Queen Alia International Airport
- 13:45 Arrival Ceremony in the al-Husseini Royal Palace
Courtesy visit to their Majesties the King and Queen of Jordan
14:20 Meeting with the authorities of the Kingdom of Jordan.
Discourse of the Holy Father
- 16:00 Holy Mass at the International Stadium in Amman.
Homily of the Holy Father
- 19:00 Visit to the baptismal site at Bethany beyond
- Sunday, May 25, 2014
- 08:30 Departure by helicopter from Queen Alia Internal
Airport in Amman for Bethlehem
- 09:30 Arrival ceremony at the Presidential Palace
in Bethlehem Courtesy visit to the Chairman of the Palestinian
- 10:00 Meeting with the Palestinian Authority. Discourse
of the Holy Father
- 11:00 Holy Mass in Manger Square in Bethlehem. Homily
of the Holy Father Regina Coeli prayer. Allocution of the Holy
- 15:00 Private visit to the Grotto of the Nativity
- Continued: http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=63560
- FORMER PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER JOINS POLLARD RELEASE BANDWAGON
- By Gil Hoffman - The Jerusalem Post - April 6, 2014 - Former
US president Jimmy Carter became the most unlikely top American
official yet to endorse the release of Israeli agent Jonathan
- Carter, who is known as a fierce critic of Israel, said he
supported current US president Barack Obama releasing Pollard
as part of a diplomatic agreement that US Secretary of State
John Kerry is trying to broker between Israel and the Palestinians.
As a gesture to Israel, Kerry has offered to bring about Pollard's
release before Passover.
- If the Israelis would agree to accept John Kerrys
proposal, if Pollard was released, I would say yes [to supporting
freedom for Pollard], the former president told the website
Politico. But I would make it an absolute swap and a certain
thing, not just as a factor.
- Carter joined a growing list of top current and former American
dignitaries calling for Pollard's release that includes former
secretaries of state Gerorge Schultz and Henry Kissinger, three
former heads of the Central Intelligence Agency, former National
Security Adviser Robert McFarlane, and former US deputy defense
secretary Lawrence Korb. Continued: http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Carter-joins-Pollard-release-bandwagon-347687
- ARAB LEAGUE REJECTS PUTTING PRESSURE ON ABBAS
- CAIRO, April 7, 2014 (WAFA - PLO news agency) The
League of Arab States said, in a statement Monday, that it rejects
putting pressures on President Mahmoud Abbas to foil Palestinian
attempts to accede to international organizations as well as
to extend the negotiations.
- Deputy Secretary General of the League of Arab States, Ahmad
Bin Helli, said that such pressures should be exerted on Israel,
since it the party that does not meet its obligations towards
the peace process.
- He said President Abbas called for holding an emergency meeting
for the Arab ministers of foreign affairs, in his presence, to
brief them on the latest developments on peace talks.
- Bin Helli further noted that Abbas will present to the Arab
ministers a comprehensive explanation on the recent political
developments and the options in hand, in addition to how the
Palestinian leadership is planning to act in light of the current
political impasse following deadlock in peace talks. Continued:
- WHAT'S BEHIND ABBA'S RENEWED COURTSHIP OF HAMAS?
by Khaled Abu Toameh - April 8, 2014 at 5:00 am - For Abbas,
the issue of reconciliation with Hamas is yet another legitimate
weapon to scare the Israelis and the US into submitting to his
demands and preconditions. It now remains to be seen whether
the US Administration will take the bait.
- Now that Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has
succeeded in surprising the US and Israel with his decision to
apply for Palestinian membership in 15 international institutions
and treaties, he seems to be preparing another surprise for the
Americans and Israelis: a unity agreement with Hamas.
- Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas leader
Ismail Haniyeh in Gaza, in February 2007, before Hamas seized
total control of Gaza. (Image source: MaanImages)
- Earlier this week, Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh was
also surprised to receive a phone call from Azzam al-Ahmed, a
close advisor to Abbas.
- The purpose of the phone call was to request permission from
Haniyeh for a visit from senior Fatah officials to the Gaza Strip
to discuss unity and reconciliation between the two rival parties.
- Haniyeh's office replied that he would welcome a visit to
the Gaza Strip "out of keenness for unity and in order to
protect the national interests of the Palestinians."
- Abbas's renewed effort to join forces with Hamas came even
as U.S. envoy Martin Indyk was busy trying to prevent the breakdown
of the Israeli-Palestinian talks in wake of Abbas's surprise
decision to apply for membership in international organizations
and conventions. Continued:
- FATAH LEADER: ISRAELI SANCTIONS WILL LEAD TO COLLAPSE OF
- 04.09.2014 22:48 - RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Fatah central committee
member Azzam al-Ahmad warned on Wednesday that Israeli sanctions
will lead to the dismantling of the Palestinian Authority.
- Al-Ahmad told Ma'an that the PA will not announce its dismantling
outright, but stressed that Israeli actions will "lead to
- Al-Ahmad's comments come amid a near breakdown in peace talks
between Israel and the Palestine Liberation Organization, after
Israel refused to release a group of Palestinian prisoners as
previously agreed upon if the Palestinians refused to extend
talk beyond the deadline at the end of April.
- After Palestinian leaders announced that they would accede
to 15 international conventions, Israel announced that it would
impose sanctions as it considers the move an attempt to seek
international recognition and potential intervention by Palestinians.
- "The United States and Israel are jointly responsible
for the collapse of the PA and its consequences," al-Ahmad
- Continued: http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=688892
- THE CRISIS IN THE PEACE TALKS WAS PRE-PLANNED BY THE PALESTINIANS
- Lt. Col. (ret.) Jonathan D. Halevi, April 10, 2014 Jerusalem
Issue Briefs Vol. 14, No. 9 April 10, 2014 Institute for Contemporary
Affairs, founded jointly with the Wechsler Family .
In March 2014, Saeb Erekat, the head of the Palestinian negotiating
team, prepared a 65-page document that surveys the diplomatic
process and offers list of recommendations for the PA to achieve
Palestinian sovereignty in the territories demarcated by the
1967 lines. PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas has recently implemented
some of these recommendations.
The recommendations include submitting a request to immediately
join the Geneva Conventions; declaring the impossibility of extending
the negotiations after the end of the nine-month period on April
29, 2014; and opposing the Israeli proposal that the settlement
blocs become part of Israel in any final agreement.
The plan also includes activating bilateral committees with Russia,
the EU, and the UN, and cooperating with the monitoring committee
of the Arab Peace Initiative, to muster support for the Palestinian
anti-settlement position; urging the states of the world to uphold
the European Union=92s guidelines regarding settlement activity;
and escalating the peaceful popular struggle against settlements
and the [security] fence.
The PA's latest moves reflect the long-term strategy Abbas has
been implementing, which involves using diplomatic means to obtain
international recognition of a sovereign Palestinian state along
the 1967 lines without the Palestinians having to make concessions
on the fundamental issues of the conflict, particularly the refugee
issue and what is called the right of return. Continued: http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=63622
- US TELLS ISRAEL: POLLARD'S RELEASE STILL ON THE TABLE
- By Yuval Bagno - The Jerusalem Post - April 10, 2014 - Indyk tells sides if deal reached, US will
consider releasing Israeli agent; sources confirm that Israel
offered deal for extending talks, which includes releasing prisoners
in exchange for freezing unilateral moves.
- Sources in Jerusalem confirmed Thursday that Israel has presented
the Palestinians with a new package aimed at extending peace
talks, and the US has not taken the possible release of Israeli
agent Jonathan Pollard off of the table.
- A diplomatic source said that "if the Palestinian Authority
agrees to stop its plans to join a number of international treaties
and conventions, Israel will agree to a new prisoner release
package in return for the continuation of negotiations until
the end of the year at a minimum."
- According to the source, the Palestinians expressed willingness
to consider the compromise offer put on the table by Justice
Minister Tzipi Livni.
- The emerging deal will allow both sides to "come down
from the tree" and appear publicly as if they did not compromise
on their positions.
- "This is part of the Israeli suggestion which is now
being considered by the Palestinian side, while at the same time
the US mediator sent a message to Israel - the release of Israeli
agent Jonathan Pollard from a US prison is still a possibility
the US administration will consider, if the sides reach a deal
that includes Israel freeing terrorists," the sources said.
- The sides are still not close to an agreement due to the
Palestinian demand that Israel freeze settlement construction
and due to the fact that the details of a new prisoner release
deal have not been reached.
- Israeli and Palestinian negotiators met again in Jerusalem
on Thursday, along with US envoy to the peace talks, Martin Indyk.
- The Prime Minister's Office emphasized Thursday that "if
the PA will not stop its unilateral joining of UN conventions,
the prime minister's decision is clear - unilateral steps will
be answered by unilateral steps from our side. Some of our responses
have already com,e and some are still being prepared and are
awaiting approval from the political echelon in the event that
they will be necessary." Continued:
- JERUSALEM NOT UP FOR GRABS
- by Prof. Efraim Inbar - April 10, 2014 - BESA Center Perspectives
Paper No. 243
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Kerrys remarks about Gilo, a neighborhood
in Jerusalem, reveal a profound misunderstanding of the situation.
Palestinian demands to divide Jerusalems capital are unreasonable.
Israels capital holds a spiritual and national significance
to the Israeli population, as well as strategic and military
importance. Consequently, no Israeli government will survive
or support any concessions made in Jerusalem and it is time for
the U.S. and the international community to recognize this.
- US Secretary of State John Kerry has blamed the sudden deadlock
in peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority
on Israels plans to build additional apartments in Gilo,
a southern Jerusalem neighborhood beyond the Green Line. This
indicates Americas profound misunderstanding of the situation.
With over 40,000 residents, Gilo is to be part of Israel under
any agreement. More importantly, the peace negotiations have
little chance of succeeding as long as the Palestinians demand
the partition of Jerusalem.
- The Palestinians and most of the international community
fail to understand that the past offers made to divide Jerusalem
by Ehud Barak at the Camp David summit in 2000, and repeated
by Ehud Olmert in 2007 were divorced from the strong attachment
a majority of Israelis feel towards the eternal city. The willingness
of Barak and Olmert to divide the city completely lacks domestic
political support. Furthermore, strategic considerations also
dictate that Israel hold onto greater Jerusalem as a united city.
- Israeli public opinion is committed to maintaining the status
quo in Jerusalem. All polls show that over two thirds of Israelis
feel that Jerusalem should remain the united capital of Israel,
while only 20 percent favor dividing the capital between the
Jewish state and a future Palestinian state. The group of Israelis
expressing the strongest support in favor of Jerusalem remaining
the undivided capital of Israel (almost 80 percent) is between
the ages of 18 and 24. Of this group, even stronger support was
expressed by Ultra-Orthodox and religious Israelis who are the
fastest growing segments in the Jewish population. When asked
whether Israel should relinquish control over the Temple Mount
in Jerusalem, the holiest place in the world for Jews, over 70
percent of Israelis disagreed.
- After Baraks offer in 2000, over 250,000 people demonstrated
in opposition to Baraks violation of the Jerusalem taboo
the largest rally ever held in the city. The electrifying
hold of Jerusalem on the Jewish psyche is not sufficiently appreciated.
Moreover, an Orthodox injunction against visiting the Temple
Mount has eroded, allowing a growing number of Israelis the spiritual
experience of ascending the Mount and conjoining the metaphysical
past and future. Such feelings are politically potent, foreclosing
the possibility that Israelis will sit idly by and abide a transfer
of sovereignty in Jerusalem. Continued: http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=63625
- MINISTER EGYPT RECEIVES OIL AID OF US$700 MILLION MONTHLY
- Wed, 23/04/2014 - 12:43 MENA - Petroleum Minister Sherif
Ismail said Egypt receives oil aid estimated at around US$700
million monthly from Arab countries like Saudi Arabia, Emirates
- In a phone call with a talk show aired on the privately-owned
CBC TV channel on Tuesday, Ismail said that another installment
of about $1 billion of dues of the foreign countries working
in petroleum field will be paid during the coming two months.
- Each of Saudi Arabia, Emirates and Kuwait promised financial
and petroleum aid to Egypt that reached $12 billion since ouster
of deposed President Mohamed Morsy in July.
- The Arab petroleum aid is a pivotal source for Egypt to make
up for the local shortage of petroleum supply which caused the
government to approve plan to limit electricity loads due to
shortage in fuel used in operating electricity generation stations.
- Egypt is working to restructure its energy subsidies to reduce
burdens on the state budget. Energy subsidy reached LE128 billion
during the last fiscal year. Edited translation from MENA http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/minister-egypt-receives-oil-aid-us700-million-monthly
- ISRAEL CANNOT ACCEPT THE EMERGING ACCORD BETWEEN THE US AND
- By Maj. Gen. (res.) Yaacov Amidror April 24, 2014 BESA Center
Perspectives Paper No. 245
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: An accord between the P5+1 and Iran that
would allow Iran to maintain a full nuclear fuel cycle is unacceptable
to Israel. None of assumptions behind the emerging accord are
sound: Neither the assumption that a monitoring regime could
guarantee identification in real time of Iranian violations;
nor the assumption that the US would act with alacrity if a breach
is identified; nor the assumption that in the real world Iran
will truly be deterred by US threats. An agreement along these
lines would be far worse than no agreement, and could force Israel
to respond independently.
- Ostensibly, official US policy on Irans nuclear program
is clear: The US will not allow Iran to produce a nuclear bomb.
Moreover, President Obama has said that, for this purpose, all
options are on the table implying a military option
as well. In addition, according to many report in American newspapers,
President Obama has ordered the development of diversified US
military capabilities with which to attack Iranian nuclear facilities,
far beyond what existed in the previous administration
providing further evidence of the Presidents seriousness.
- But many people do not understand the meaning behind the
vague statement, We will not allow Iran to manufacture
a nuclear bomb. When will this happen? Who will decide
that this is the time for action? How? What does
- Robert Einhorn seeks to answer these questions in a 56-page
comprehensive paper just published by the Brookings Institution
(Preventing a Nuclear-Armed Iran: Requirements for a Comprehensive
Nuclear Agreement). This paper cannot be ignored, since until
a few months ago Einhorn was one of the top officials on Iran
in the Obama administration, and he is very knowledgeable on
the topic. (Einhorn was the Secretary of States special
advisor for nonproliferation and arms control. During the Clinton
administration, he was assistant secretary for nonproliferation).
- Continued: http://besacenter.org/perspectives-papers/israel-accept-emerging-according-us-iran/?utm_source=rss&utm_
- DAILY BEAST REPORT ON KERRY REMARKS AGAINST ISRAEL THAT MAY
EXPLAIN RADICAL ABBAS HARDLINE
- [EDNOTE: ABBAS AND HAMAS JOIN TO NETANYAHU'S DISMAY]
- [Dr. Aaron Lerner - IMRA: Monday, April 28, 2014 - At the
start of his first term, President Obama pushed Abbas into taking
a hardline position when he demanded an Israeli settlement freeze
that the Palestinians had never required as a condition for negotiations.
And now, days after Mr. Kerry told a group that Israel had absolutely
no choice but accept a deal with the Palestinians come-what-may
and implied he wanted Netanyahu removed from power,
Mahmoud Abbas had the PLO take an unprecedented hard line - ruling
out even a land swap.
- Mr. Kerry no doubt has been encouraged by many radical left
American Jews and Israeli Jews drooling at the idea that somehow
the devil incarnate, Binyamin Netanyahu, the man whose defeat
of Shimon Peres at the polls after the assassination of Rabin
stopped the Israel from entering Paradise, might somehow be brought
down by a crisis with the Palestinians.
- A technical note: the critical working assumption of Mr.
Kerry's remarks - that from a demographic standpoint time is
working against Israel - doesn't jibe with reality.]
- EXCLUSIVE: KERRY WARNS ISRAEL COULD BECOME "AN APARTHEID
- Josh Rogin The Daily Beast 04.27.14 -
The secretary of state said that if Israel doesnt
make peace soon, it could become an apartheid state,
like the old South Africa. Jewish leaders are fuming over the
- If theres no two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict soon, Israel risks becoming an apartheid state,
Secretary of State John Kerry told a room of influential world
leaders in a closed-door meeting Friday.
- Senior American officials have rarely, if ever, used the
term "apartheid" in reference to Israel, and President
Obama has previously rejected the idea that the word should apply
to Jewish State. Kerry's use of the loaded term is already rankling
Jewish leaders in Americaand it could attract unwanted
attention in Israel, as well. Continued:
- SECRETARY KERRY, I SUPPORT ISRAEL BUT IT IS DOOMED IF IT
DOES NOT MAKE A DEAL
- Dr. Aaron Lerner - Tuesday, April 29, 2014 IMRA: So here
is what we have according to our supporter who won't allow anyone
to question his commitment to Israel:
- On the one hand there is Israel: doomed if it doesn't cut
a deal with the Palestinians come-what-may.
- On the other hand there are the Palestinians: the grave consequence
for the Palestinians if they fail to cut a deal with Israel is
- Say. What was that again?
- What's the consequence for the Palestinians?
- Oh right.
- The consequence of sitting tight, according to Mr. Kerry
is that Israel will become a unitary, binational state that (despite
the actual demographic trends) will be majority Arab.
- What a threat: Compromise now and get a small Palestinian
state. Take a hard line and have an Arab majority state from
the River to the Sea.
- Tough call...
- On Support for Israel Press Statement John Kerry Secretary
of State Washington, DC April 28, 2014 http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2014/04/225326.htm
BAN ENDED ON VISITING AL AQSA MOSQUE
- Jordan times 2 May 14:Muslim scholars end
ban on visiting Aqsa Mosque under occupation
- Mudlim scholars an intellectuals . . .have reached
a consensus . . .to end a ban of Muslim visits to Al Aqsa Mosque
in Jerusalem [...]
- There are currently plans by the Israeli government
to divide Al Aqsa or to demolish it and an influx of Muslim pilgrims
lends support to the concerns of Jerusalemite Palestinians,
the scholars stated. [...]
- Regarding visiting the Blessed Aqsa Mosque under occupation:
- First: The scholars participating in the Road to Jerusalem
Conference see that there is no difficulty in religion (La Haraj)
for the following segments to visit the Blessed Aqsa Mosque in
- 1. Palestinians wherever they may be, in or out of Palestine
and regardless of their nationalities.
- 2. Muslims with passports from countries outside the Muslim
- Second: In all cases, the following conditions must be observed:
- 1. That it does not lead to normalisation with the occupation,
which may cause harm to the Palestinian cause.
- 2. That the visit supports and assists Palestinians and not
the occupiers; and here we affirm that any transactions including
buying, selling, dealings, accommodations and transportation
undertaken must benefit the Palestinians and the Jerusalemites
and none other than them.
- 3. That visitors enter with Palestinian or Jordanian tourist
groups and stay clear of programmes run by the occupier.
- 4. It is preferred that trips to Al Aqsa be within the routes
of umra and Hajj trips as much as possible and in an effective
and collective manner that achieves the significant religious
benefit of this; and in a manner that supports the Palestinian
economy and particularly, the economy of Jerusalem; and politically
with the aim of protecting Al Aqsa and the religious antiquities.
Amman, 29th Jumada Al Akhira, 1435 AH/29th April, 2014 AD
- [THE ROADMAP DELINEATED BY THE QUARTET  SEEMS TO BE
THE FINAL AGREEMENT OFFERED]
- HAMAS WILL NEVER RECOGNIZE ISRAEL AND WILL NOT ACCEPT THE
CONDITIONS LAID OUT BY THE MIDDLE EAST PEACEMAKING QUARTET ACCORDING
TO THE ISLAMIST MOVEMENT'S DEPUTY LEADER
- May 4, 2014 [...] Under terms of the deal, Gaza's Hamas rulers
and the Palestine Liberation Organization of President Mahmoud
Abbas are to work together to form a new unity government which
will prepare for national elections. But Israel reacted furiously,
saying it would not negotiate with any government backed by Hamas,
whose charter calls for the destruction of the Jewish state,
effectively putting the final nail in the coffin of the latest
round of U.S.-brokered peace talks.
- Recognizing Israel is one of the key conditions laid out
in the 2003 peacemaking roadmap of the Middle East Quartet,
which brings together the United Nations, the European Union,
the United States and Russia.
- The other two key demands are a renunciation of violence
and acceptance of all prior agreements with Israel.
- Recognizing Israel is one of the key conditions laid out
in the 2003 peacemaking roadmap of the Middle East Quartet, which
brings together the