- Visit 'Peace In Jerusalem'
- for more comprehensive
ongoing reports by Retired Pastor/Teacher James McCutchan - Jmccutchan@aol.com
- KERRY BRINGS PLAN INTEGRATING WEST BANK SECURITY IN PLANNED
US-LED ANTI-AL QAEDA REGIONAL FORCE
- DEBKAfile Exclusive Report December 6, 2013, 11:31 AM (IDT)
Tags: John Kerry, security, Israel-Palestinian talks, Al Qaeda,
Binyamin Netanyahu, Mahmoud Abbas, Yemen, Terror,
Yemeni Defense Ministry after Al Qaeda strikeThe security plan,
which US Secretary of State John Kerry brought with him Thursday,
Dec. 5, on his eighth trip for reviving Israeli-Palestinian peace
talks, entails deploying a regional international force including
US troops along the Jordan Rift Valley and West Bank in a future
Palestinian state. This is reported by debkafiles military
and counterterrorism sources.
The plan, drawn up by Gen. John Allen, was presented by Kerry
for the first time to Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem
and Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah.
- The security provisions Washington promised Israel under
a final settlement of its dispute with the Palestinians are assuming
a broader, regional form as a US blueprint, on which the Obama
administration is still working, for a Middle East regional force
to combat Al Qaeda.
This force would secure parts of Syria, as well as Jordan, Saudi
Arabia, the future Palestinian state and Israel against Al Qaeda
attack from positions in Syria, Iraq and Sinai.
- The secretary of state proposed integrating Israeli and Palestinian
special forces units in the planned regional counter-terror force,
alongside the American, British, French, Saudi, Jordanian, Egyptian
and Qatari units enlisted to the new framework
Since its area of operation would be extensive, ranging from
southern Syria to Sinai, including Israel and the potential Palestinian
state, the IDF would be able to continue performing its security
functions in Judea, Samaria and the Jordan Valley, as part of
the new force. But by the same rule, Palestinian forces would
be allowed by mutual consent to serve in parts of Israel in the
same multinational framework.
- The public groundwork for this plan is already being laid
by means of extensive reporting in Western media which magnify
the ever-present menace Al Qaeda poses to the United States and
West Europe from its concentrations in Syria and Iraq. Continued:
- MANDELA, THE JEWS, & THE FUTURE: WHICH JEWS?
- Seeking Peace or Refusing in 1990, Seeking Peace or Refusing
- 12.9.2013 - Last week, the NY Times ran an article called
In The Day a Newly Freed Mandela Came to New York
which glorified New York Citys welcome to Nelson Mandela
- But the Times overlooked an empty chair at the welcome table.
Not a single mainstream Jewish organization in New
York was willing to meet with Mr. Mandela during that 1990 visit.
That was because he had criticized the Israeli occupation of
the Palestinian West Bank, Gaza, and East Jerusalem.
- This abject ethical failure by the official line-up
of Jewish organizations was a rejection of the broadest human
ethical standards, as well as a denial of the prophetic tradition
at the heart of Torah from the resistance to Pharaoh forward.
- Perhaps more important, it was not only a blemish upon the
New York Jewish community thirteen years ago, but raises some
continuing profound questions about the stance of the American
Jewish community today.
- For the same reasons Jewish officialdom shunned
Mandelas pursuit of peace and justice 13 years ago, today
it is shunning the search for peace and security today
peace and security for and among Israel, Iran, and the USA today.
At the end of this essay, The Shalom Center and I are asking
you to act on behalf of the Torahs command to seek
peace and pursue it. To walk step by step along the path
that we honor Mandela for learning to walk.
- Back in 1990, some 50,000 people waited at Kennedy International
Airport and along the motorcade route. About 100,000 crowded
the streets in Brooklyn as Mandela approached a high school for
an appearance; 400,000 packed the Canyon of Heroes in Lower Manhattan
as the ticker-tape parade passed by; and 200,000 jammed the ceremony
outside City Hall.
- But New Yorks Jewish organizations were absent
except for one small Jewish school named for Rabbi Abraham Joshua
Heschel and committed to his prophetic values, whose faculty
and students marched in the ticker-tape parade. You can see them
in this photo provided us by Rabbi Jonah Geffen, who was then
himself a young student at the Heschel School: Continued: http://darethefuture.com/?p=1117
- The days of divine judgment is about to begin, the Netanyahus
waiting for the Pope.
- Sara Netanyahu: We can hardly wait for the Pope
The prime ministers wife, repeated the invitation. Were
expecting you, we cant wait. Israeli media quoted
Sara Netanyahu as telling the pontiff after the meeting.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had a 25-minute
audience with Pope Francis at the Vatican on Monday, the first
meeting between the two leaders.
- Netanyahu presented the pontiff with a Spanish translation
of The Origins of the Inquisition, a book written
by the Israeli leaders late father, Ben-Zion Netanyahu,
an acclaimed historian known widely for his research on the topic.
To his Holiness Pope Franciscus, a great shepherd of our
common heritage, Netanyahu inscribed on the inside cover.
- Francis thanked Netanyahu and gave him a bronze plaque of
- The meeting was not long but covered a wide range of issues,
including regional diplomacy, plans for a papal pilgrimage and
bilateral issues between Israel and the Holy See.
- According to a Vatican statement, attention focused on the
complex situation in the Middle East, emphasizing the pontiffs
hope that renewed peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians
result in a just and lasting solution as soon as possible.
- Diplomatic relations between Israel and the Holy See were
established in 1993. Since 1999, the two sides have been negotiating
a long list of outstanding issues, including the status of the
Roman Catholic Church in Israel, requested sovereignty over certain
sites, and taxation and expropriation of church assets in the
country. Last year, Israeli officials involved in talks said
resolving these matters would bring a historic upgrade
- Continued: http://ivarfjeld.com/2013/12/04/sara-netanyahu-we-can-hardly-wait-for-the-pope/
- OP-ED ANNEX THE LAND BEFORE THE "END OF JEWISH HISTORY"
- Published: Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:14 PM - The "End
of Jewish History" is not as farfetched as Fukiyama's predictions
for the world. Nor is a repetition of the fate of the Ten Tribes.
- By Giulio Meotti - The writer, an Italian journalist with
Il Foglio, writes a twice-weekly column for Arutz Sheva. He is
the author of the book "A New Shoah", that researched
the personal stories of Israel's terror victims, published by
Encounter. His writing has appeared in publications, such as
the Wall Street Journal, Frontpage and Commentary. He has just
prblished a book about the Vatican and Israel titled "J'Accuse:
the Vatican Against Israel" published by Mantua Books.
- Everybody knows that it is either going to be settlements
or a Palestinian State. Both cannot cohexist side
The fate of Jewish life in Judea and Samaria is the most important
single defining issue for the future of the Jewish people. After
Yasser Arafat convinced the Israelis that "delivering"
Arabs to the Jews is something his people couldnt tolerate,
Israel has convinced herself that she can deliver many Jews to
- This is the real meaning of John Kerrys security
- Declaring partial sovereignty over Judea and Samaria, the
alternative suggested by those Israelis who made a religion out
of security, will not ease the tremendous pressure on the State
of Israel and the Jews. Partial sovereignty will lead to the
point where the security situation will be even worse, and Israel
might fatally decide to abandon every inch of the Biblical heartland.
- However - exactly as there is no solution to the Old City
of Jerusalem, where separation is impossible unless Israel relinquishes
the Jewish Quarter and the Western Wall, the State of Israel
in Judea and Samaria has now only two alternatives: annexing
all the land (at least Area C where all the Israelis live) in
the name of Jewish rights, or facing a new catastrophe, a new
cataclysm, a new diaspora, a new cycle of exile, or at worst,
a new Holocaust, whether violent or not.
- Everybody knows that it is either going to be settlements
or a Palestinian State. Both cannot cohexist side
- And a Palestinian State means the deportation
of at least 100,000 Jews - or up to many times that number -
and the annihilation of an entire Jewish civilization in Judea
and Samaria. Continued: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/
- J'ACCUSE: THE VATICAN AGAINST ISRAEL
- Giulio Meotti: The writer has just published a book about
the Vatican and Israel titled "J'Accuse: the Vatican Against
Israel" published by Mantua Books.
- Pope Francis has praised Jews for keeping their faith despite
the Holocaust and other terrible trials throughout
history, and reaffirmed Judaism as the holy root
- In a letter, published on the front page of La Repubblica
Italian newspaper, the Pope writes that "since Vatican Council
II, we have rediscovered that the Jewish people are still for
us the holy root from which Jesus germinated".
- As archbishop of Buenos Aires, Bergoglio had celebrated Rosh
Hashana in local synagogues, he had voiced solidarity with Jewish
victims of Iranian terrorism and co-written a book with a rabbi,
Avraham Skorka. He attended a commemoration of Kristallnacht,
the wave of Nazi attacks against Jews in November 1938.
- But as this new letter shows, one of the grave dangers in
the Vatican's dialogue with Judaism is the Church's attempt to
drive a wedge between the good and docile Jews of
the Diaspora and the bad and arrogant Jews of Israel.
- Pope Francis has never addressed the Israelis in his messages,
nor has he openly defended the Jewish State since he was elected
by the college of the cardinals. It seems that there is no room
for stubborn, faithful Zionists in the Pope's lenient smile.
In his speeches, Jewish national aspirations are ignored, if
- [Email by Barry Chamish's newsletter - http://www.barrychamish.com
- THE VATICAN'S JERUSALEM AGENDA
By Barry Chamish Mon Sep 22 1997 - Did Shimon Peres make a deal
with the Vatican?
- Consider the evidence: On Sept. 10, '93, just three
days before the signing of the Declaration of Principles in Washington,
the Italian news magazine La Stampa reported that part of the
peace deal was an unwritten understanding that the Vatican would
receive political authority over the Old City of Jerusalem by
the end of the millenium. The newspaper reported that Shimon
Peres had promised the pope to hand over the holy sites of Jerusalem
the previous May and that Arafat had accepted the agreement.
- In March '94, the Israeli newsmagazine Shishi published
an interview with Mark Halter, a French intellectual and close
friend of Shimon Peres. He said he delivered a letter from Peres
to the Pope the previous May, within which Peres offered the
Vatican hegemony over the Old City of Jerusalem. The article
detailed Peres's offer which essentially turned Jerusalem into
an international city overseen by the Holy See.
- In March '95, the radio station Arutz Sheva announced
that it had seen a cable sent by the Israeli Embassy in Rome
to the Foreign Ministry in Jerusalem outlining the handover of
the Old City of Jerusalem to the Vatican. Two days later Haaretz
published the cable on its front page. The Foreign Ministry explained
that the cable was genuine but someone had whited out the word
"not." ie We will not transfer authority to the Vatican.
Incredibly, numerous Bnei Brak rabbis who had cancelled Passover
meetings with Peres over the issue of the cable accepted the
explanation and reinvited him to their homes.
The Foreign Ministry's Legal Affairs Spokesperson, Esther Samilag,
publicly complained about "various capitulations" to
the Vatican. She was immediately transferred to a post at the
Israeli Embassy in Katmandu, Nepal.
- MK Avraham Shapira announced in the Knesset that he had information
that all Vatican property in Jerusalem was to become tax exempt
and that large tracts of real estate on Mount Zion were given
to the pope in perpetuity.
- Jerusalem's late Deputy Mayor Shmuel Meir announced that
he had received "information that properties promised to
the Vatican would be granted extra-territorial status."
- Beilin was forced to answer the accusations. He admitted,
"Included in the Vatican Agreement is the issue of papal
properties in Israel that will be resolved by a committee of
experts that has already been formed." If so, this committee
has not since released any proof of its existence.
- With all this in mind, how do we interpret the Vatican's
current position on Jerusalem?
- The following report, circulated by MSANews may shed some
light on that: Continued:
- BIGGEST STORM IN OVER 100 YEARS!
- Hear from Israelis all over the country about the good, the
bad, and the ugly.
- 12/15/2013, 11:33 PM - A7 Radio's "News & Call-In
with Tamar Yonah" with Tamar Yonah
Listen Now! Follow Israel Radio - The biggest snow storm in over
a century smothered Jerusalem and the hilly areas with tons of
snow. How did Israelis cope? We'll get a weather news summary
from Arutz Sheva's TV/Video Director Yoni Kempinski, and hear
from Israelis from all over the country on how they survived
the storm, whether from torrents of wind and rain, or from heavy
- EX-U.N. INSPECTOR: DEAL LEAVES 2 MONTHS FROM BOMB
- Warns of loopholes on centrifuges, undeclared sites - Published:
11/27/2013 at 8:29 PM WND - TEL AVIV The deal between
Iran and Western powers leaves Tehran just two months away from
enriching enough uranium to assemble one nuclear weapon, according
to an analysis by Olli Heinonen, the former International Atomic
Energy Agency inspector. Heinonen was the IAEAs deputy
director-general for safeguards until 2010. In an email to WND,
he explained that the deal that requires Iran to cap its uranium
enrichment at 5 percent instead of its current 20 percent constantly
would leave the country two months away from the technical ability
to build a nuke.
- Wrote Heinonen:
- Let us look at the current the facts on the ground.
With Irans inventory of 20% enriched uranium, it would
take about 2 weeks using 6000 IR-1 centrifuges, operating in
tandem cascades, to produce enough weapons grade material for
one nuclear device. If Iran uses 3-5 % enriched uranium as feed
material at all its currently installed 18,000 IR-1 centrifuges
at Natanz and Fordow, the same result would be achieved in two
- The current agreement retains Irans fleet of
more than 18000 IR-1 centrifuges. Operational restrictions are
placed that allow 10000 centrifuges to continue to enrich at
up to 5% at any given point of time. These measures, together
with a cessation of 20% enriched uranium production and conversion
of the 20%-level stockpiles to oxides, extend the current breakout
times to about two months. Continued:http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/ex-u-n-inspector-deal-
- POLYGAMY ADVOCATES HAIL FEDERAL JUDGE'S RULING
By Telegraph-Herald (Dubuque, IA) December 17, 2013 12:25 pm
Advocacy groups for polygamy and individual liberties on Saturday
hailed a federal judge's ruling that key parts of Utah's polygamy
laws are unconstitutional, saying it will remove the threat of
arrest for those families.
- U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups said in the decision handed
down Friday that a provision in Utah law forbidding cohabitation
with another person violated the First Amendment right of freedom
- The ruling was a victory for Kody Brown and his four wives
who star in the hit TLC reality show "Sister Wives"
and other fundamentalist Mormons who believe polygamy brings
exaltation in heaven.
- The Brown family filed their lawsuit in July 2011 and fled
Utah for Las Vegas last year under the threat of prosecution.
- Anne Wilde, of Salt Lake City, co-founder of the polygamy
advocacy group Principle Voices, said polygamous families have
lived under the threat of arrest for decades and no longer have
to worry about being charged with a felony. There are an estimated
38,000 fundamentalist Mormons who practice or believe in polygamy,
most living in Utah and other Western states, said Wilde, who
was a plural wife for 33 years until her husband died. Continued:
- UNBELIEVABLE ATTENTION ON THE JONATHAN J POLLARD CASE
BY Denise Noe - The Near Escape
The driver floored the accelerator of the five-year-old green
Mustang. The overweight man, sporting aviator-style eyeglasses
below a receding hairline, was in a gut wrenching, dry-mouthed,
sweaty-palmed, and heart pounding panic. His attractive redheaded
wife sat in the passenger seats, holding Dusty, the family cat,
on her lap. Having just undergone an operation, she was in physical
discomfort and mentally groggy. Her mind was clear enough, however,
to be afraid. The woman had in her possession a variety of important
papers, including birth and marriage certificates and the vaccination
records for the cat, that the couple would need in starting the
new life that they hoped against hope that they were speeding
- [Israeli flag (AP)] The couple was driving to the Israeli
embassy in Washington, D. C., believing that they would be given
refuge there. When they got within sight of the light beige brick
building, they saw its flag, made up of a crisp blue Star of
David on a background of purest white, flying proud and high.
That flag seemed to beckon them to safety and freedom. [...]
"I want to invoke my right under the Law of Return to Israeli
citizenship!" he cried. "We're Jews. We're on Israeli
territory. You can't throw us out."
- [...] Cars and vans carrying FBI agents surrounded the embassy
... he was arrested on charges of spying
- Continued: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/terrorists_spies/spies/pollard/1.html
- KERRY DETERMINED TO GET PEACE AGREEMENT DONE
- Kerry reportedly says he will consider freeing Jonathan Pollard
as part of prisoner swap. Secretary of State John Kerry will
travel to the Middle East in the first week of the new year amid
a flurry of reports in the Israeli press that he has said he
would consider freeing convicted spy Jonathan Pollard. Israel's
Channel 10 TV station first reported Friday that Kerry offered
to free Pollard as part of an exchange for the release of a fourth
group of Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails as peace talks
resume between the two sides. The third of four groups is scheduled
to be released Monday, the Jerusalem Post reported.
- Pollard, a former U.S. intelligence analyst, pleaded guilty
to passing national defense information to the Israeli government
in 1986 and was sentenced to life in prison the following year.
- ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER BENJAMIN NETANYAHU REACHING A POINT
OF NO RETURN
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has used charm rather
than coercion to keep Netanyahu and Abbas at the negotiating
table. Now the ball is firmly in their court. By Barak Ravid
| 07:18 03.01.14 | 0 http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.566852
- Tuesday, December 24, 2013 Officials: Pollard release to
be part of peace negotiations. Officials: Pollard release to
be part of peace negotiations PM Netanyahu will include release
of Israeli spy from American prison as part of talks with Palestinians,
according to Israeli officials. Ministers push for spy's release
after disclosure of US tapping on Israel Itamar Eichner - YNET
Published: 12.24.13, 11:38 / Israel News http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4469021,00.html
- Following the exposure of US surveillance on top Israeli
leaders, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to demand
the release of Jonathan Pollard, who has been jailed in US prison
for nearly three decades, from American prison as part of negotiation
efforts with the Palestinians, Israeli officials estimated.
- "With regard to things published in the past few days,
I have asked for an examination of the matter," Netanyahu
said in broadcast remarks, in a clear reference to the alleged
- According to undisclosed Israeli officials, Netanyahu's demand
for the release of the Israeli spy through the platform of peace
talks with the Palestinians could be executed in one of two ways:
A release of the Israeli spy as part of an Israeli-Palestinian
agreement pushed by the Americans for next month, or through
a deal aimed at releasing Arab-Israeli prisoners.
- Documents leaked on Friday by former US National Security
Agency contractor Edward Snowden showed the NSA and its British
counterpart GCHQ had in 2009 targeted an email address listed
as belonging to then-Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and monitored
emails of senior defense officials.
- "In the close ties between Israel and the United States,
there are things that must not be done and that are not acceptable
to us," Netanyahu said, speaking during a Likud party faction
- On Sunday, several Israeli cabinet members and lawmakers
said disclosure of US spying on Israel was an opportunity to
press Washington to free jailed Israeli agent Jonathan Pollard.
Netanyahu informed Likud party members on Monday that he had
met with Pollard's wife Esther "and updated her on our unceasing
efforts to free Jonathan." http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=62698
- RONEN BERGMAN US MUST FREE POLLARD
- Breaking the rules Now that it turns out Americans spied
on every possible target, they must free Pollard By Ronen Bergman
- YNET - December 23, 2013
- NETANYAHU TO ATTEND 2014 WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM ANNUAL MEETING
- (Communicated by the Prime Minister's Media Adviser)
- Davos, Switzerland from 22-25 January. Prime Minister Netanyahu
acceded to the request of the Annual Meeting co-chairs and will
address a special plenary meeting devoted to the Israeli economy.
He will present the Israeli cyber industry, which is among the
world's leaders, and will also hold a series of working meetings
with heads of state and corporate leaders in order to encourage
investment in Israeli high-tech and other sectors of the Israeli
- EGYPT DECLARES MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD TERRORIST GROUP
- Wednesday, December 25, 2013 - UPDATE 2: Egypt govt declares
Muslim Brotherhood 'terrorist group' An anticipated step against
Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood materialises as the government officially
brands the Islamist group as 'terrorist' Ahram Online, Wednesday
25 Dec 2013 http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/90037/Egypt/Politics-/UPDATE--Egypt-govt-declares-Muslim-Brotherhood-
- Egypt's interim government officially declared the Muslim
Brotherhood, from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails,
a terrorist group. In a press statement released on Wednesday,
Deputy Prime Minister Hossam Eissa said the cabinet decided the
Brotherhood is a terrorist group, making it subject to Article
86 of the Egyptian penal code, which defines terrorism and the
penalties for engaging in it. Eissa mentioned that the deadly
bombing in the Delta city of Mansoura as well as attacks on churches
and other violent incidents attributed to members of the group
led to the decision. Prosecutors are still investigating the
Mansoura bombing that left 16 dead, which happened Tuesday. It
was claimed by the Islamist militant group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis.
It is not yet known if the group has any link to the Muslim Brotherhood.
- ISRAELI MK'S APPEAL TO OBAMA TO RELEASE POLLARD
- Thursday, December 26, 2013 106 Israeli MKs appeal to Obama
to release Pollard Days after information about US spying on
Israel emerges, huge Knesset majority demands jailed spys
freedom By Marissa Newman - Times of Israel - December 25, 2013
- After a lengthy debate at the Knesset Wednesday, an overwhelming
106 of the 120 Knesset members signed off on an official request
to US President Barack Obama to free American-Israeli spy Jonathan
Pollard after 28 years of incarceration. http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=62698
- STEWART WEISS: APPEAL TO ELIE WIESEL TO SAVE JONATHAN POLLARD
- Who will save Jonathan Pollard? By STEWART WEISS - The Jerusalem
Post - December 26, 2013 http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/In-Plain-Language-Who-will-save-Jonathan-Pollard-336244
- The mass of men, observed American poet and historian
Henry David Thoreau, lead lives of quiet desperation.
Among the many thing which frustrate and depress me, as well
as countless other decent Jews and non-Jews, is the continued
incarceration of Jonathan Pollard. Arrested in 1985, after being
refused asylum at the Israeli Embassy in Washington, Pollard
pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to deliver national
defense information to a foreign government.
- He agreed to a plea bargain, and though federal prosecutors
asked for only a substantial number of years in prison,
Judge Aubrey Robinson, Jr. who was not legally obligated
to follow the recommendation of the prosecutor imposed
a life sentence upon Pollard after a damage assessment
memorandum from then-secretary of defense Caspar Weinberger.
- For more than 28 years, Pollard has languished in prison,
his sentence exceeding by far any punishment meted out to others
convicted of the same offense. Some of the worlds best
attorneys, including Alan Dershowitz, have failed in their attempt
to free Jonathan.
- Appeals to numerous presidents for an executive pardon have
fallen on deaf ears. Parades of former and present American officials
including those who had a direct part in Pollards
arrest and conviction asking for clemency are met by stony
- No one who is in a position to know will say why it is that
Pollard has been singled out for such cruel and unusual punishment;
even Pollard himself is not privy to the memorandum that led
to his stiff sentence. When Sen. Joe Lieberman shockingly said,
If you saw what I saw [in top-secret documents], you would
agree with Pollards continued imprisonment, fellow
Sen. Charles Schumer asked to see the same documents. After reviewing
them, he concluded, Nothing I have seen justifies his staying
in prison one more day.
- For its part, Israels protestations have proven equally
impotent. Behind-the-scenes pleas and petitions have failed to
move the Americans. In 1998, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu
had secured a promise from US president Bill Clinton to pardon
Pollard as part of the Wye River peace talks; the agreement was
signed, but Clinton reneged on his pledge. On January 4, 2011,
Netanyahu formally submitted a letter to President Barack Obama
requesting clemency. Though the White House issued a statement
saying the letter would be reviewed, no official response has
ever been given. http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=62698
- "The Israeli Knesset is turning to U.S. President Barack
Obama to request, on humanitarian and humanistic grounds, in
light of his grave medical condition, to shorten the sentence
of Jonathan Pollard and order his immediate release," read
the plenum summary. "This humanitarian gesture is essential,
and even necessary for Israel-U.S. relations at this time. The
Israeli Knesset is saying in a single voice, 'The time has come
to free Jonathan Pollard.'" http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=62698
- Barack Obama calling for the immediate release of Israeli
spy Jonathan Pollard, who has spent 28 years in jail.
- Jewish Parliamentarians [ICJP] Urge Clemency for Pollard
- SAUDI MINISTER: GCC TO SET UP FORCE OF 100,000
- Dec. 26, 2013 - 02:16PM | By AWAD MUSTAFA - DUBAI
The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) will have a force of 100,000
members under the newly announced and US-backed Joint Military
Command, according to Prince Miteb Bin Abdullah, Saudi Arabias
Minister of the National Guard .
- There will be a unified command of around 100,000 members,
God willing. I hope it will happen soon, and the National Guard
is ready for anything that is asked of it, Prince Miteb
was quoted as saying by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) earlier
- The announcement by Prince Miteb comes less than one week
after US President Barack Obama issued a directive to Congress
to facilitate for the GCC defense article sales and defense services
under the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 and the Arms Export
Control Act. The joint command, according to a high-level GCC
official quoted in Saudi newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat, has been
agreed to be headquartered in Riyadh. The new command's implementation
has been mandated to the GCC Military Committee, an advisory
committee to the secretary general. According to a paper by US
Navy Lt. Cmdr. Glenn Kuffel published by the Naval War College,
the GCC Military Committee is the closest organization the GCC
has to a Joint Staff. "Although not empowered in any way
similar to the U.S. Joint Staff, it has standardized 90 to 95
percent of the GCC country's army doctrine," the report
- PERES: I WILL DEVOTE THE REST OF MY TERM TO RELEASE OF POLLARD
- By Itamar Eichner and Yuval Karni - Yediot Ahronot 27 December
2013 [IMRA translation] President Shimon Peres has decided to
use few months left to his position for one goal: the release
of the Israeli-American spy Jonathan Pollard.
- Peres, who is expected to leave the presidential office this
coming July, committed yesterday to increase the pressure on
US President Barak Obama, in order to convince him to release
the spy imprisoned already for close to 29 years. In closed conversations
Peres said that just as in Israel it is customary to reduce sentences,
it is inconceivable that Pollard, even if he did terrible things,
should not get clemency.
- The president also responded to a request from the Knesset
and agreed to give US President Obama a letter signed by 106
MKs - with the request to free Pollard. In the letter the Members
of Knesset note that senior officials in previous US administrations
have already maintained in the past that it is possible to free
Pollard. "Pollard committed serious crimes, that he and
the State of Israel have apologized for," it is written
in the letter, "along with this, the great amount of time
that has passed since then requires today the release of Pollard.
This gesture is required for Israeli-USA relations at this time."
- EXCERPTS: SAUDI ARABIA GIVES $3 BILLION DOLLARS TO ARM LEGANESE
- Excerpts:Saudi Arabia gives $3 billion to arm Lebanese army.
Muslim Brotherhood retains status in Jordan - December 29, 2013
- Naharnet (Lebanon) 29 Dec.13:Suleiman Says Saudi
to Give $3 billion to Buy Friench Weapons for Lebanese Army
President Michel Suleiman on Sunday[29 Dec.] announced that Saudi
Arabia has decided to donate three billion dollars with the aim
of purchasing French weapons for the Lebanese army as soon as
- After canceling a much-anticipated press conference previously
scheduled for Sunday evening, Suleiman appeared in a televised
address to declare that he managed through his talks with Saudi
King Abdullah to secure extraordinary support for
- Enhancing the army's capabilities is a unifying national
and popular demand and a source of pride and it is a dream that
I always had during my 41 years of military service, and it is
the dream of every Lebanese since independence to confront the
Israeli threat, protect democracy, face terrorism and put an
end to the proliferation of arms, said the president. http://www.imra.org.il/story.php3?id=62725