- Visit 'Peace In Jerusalem'
- for more comprehensive
ongoing reports by Retired Pastor/Teacher James McCutchan - Jmccutchan@aol.com
- PASSOVER'S ETERNAL FLAME
- Nisan 20, 5773, 3/31/2013 This time of the year is always
special. Spring is arriving, the weather becoming really beautiful,
and lots and lots of people in Hebron. Hebrons Passover
celebration included, this year, well over 50,000 people. Wednesday
and Thursday were the big days with all of Maarat
HaMachpela open to Jewish visitors, including the Isaac Hall,
open to us only 10 days a year.
- Thursdays music festival didnt leave any of the
tens of thousands disappointed. The shows began at 12:30 in the
afternoon and continued until almost 7:30, when Lipa Schmeltzer
put on a show never to be forgotten. First he sang and danced
a duet with Chaim Yisrael, and then continued by himself. It
was a huge amount of fun.
- As were the childrens events, tours, and just seeing
so many wonderful people walking the streets of Hebrons
Jewish community, following in the footsteps of Abraham and Sarah,
King David, and multitudes of Jews over the centuries.
- That having been said, I must admit that, with all its energy
and fun, and as much as I look forward to and enjoy these days,
this year, my favorite event didnt occur in Hebron.
- Those of you who have read these articles over the years
may remember numerous essays about Gush Katif. My favorite place
in Gush Katif was, as I described it many times, the Garden of
Eden in Gaza, a community called Kfar Darom. My family vacationed
there several summers, having befriended a delightful family,
who had adopted my oldest daughter, Bat-tzion, when she spent
her year of volunteer service there.
- Several articles featured the Sudri family, and among others,
their oldest daughter, Tamar.
- The last time I wrote about her was a few years ago, after
her marriage to a wonderful man named Oneg. A couple of years
ago they had their first child, a little girl. Full story: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Blogs/Message.aspx/5125
- Lipa Schmeltzer in HEBRON PASSOVER 2013 .
- Published on Mar 29, 2013 - Video Site of Hebron Jewish
- WHY ISRAEL CANNOT GO BACK TO PRE 1967 BORDER
- outstanding Explanation: Why Israel can't withdraw to its
pre '67 borders line
- OBAMA VISIT POSES CHOICES FOR PALESTINIANS
By KARIN LAUB and MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH - From Associated Press
- March 21, 2013 4:23 PM EDT
JERUSALEM (AP) President Barack Obama spoke grandly of
big picture peacemaking Thursday, but the Palestinians are focused
on a specific demand that Israel freeze settlement building
before they'll return to talks.
- Stingingly rebuffed by Obama on this score, Palestinian President
Mahmoud Abbas now finds himself at a crossroads: Fold and see
his tattered credibility suffer further, or stick to his guns
while peace efforts stay frozen and Israel continues to build
on the land Palestinians and Obama himself want
for their state.
- Abbas signaled that he's not changing course, creating a
moment of rare public friction between him and Obama at a joint
news conference following their meeting Thursday. After Obama
said neither side should set terms for renewing negotiations,
basically siding with Israel, Abbas pointed out that most of
the world deems Israeli settlements illegal.
- "We don't demand anything beyond the international resolutions
and it's the duty of the Israeli government to stop settlement
activities to enable us to talk about all issues in the negotiations,"
- Abbas also warned that growing numbers of Palestinians are
losing faith in the possibility of establishing a Palestinian
state alongside Israel because of the encroachment of settlements.
- OBAMA TELLS ISRAELIS 'PEACE WITH PALESTINIANS IS POSSIBLE'
- Delivers strong backing of right of Israel to exist
But insists that Palestinians must be allowed viable state
Settlement activity is 'counterproductive' to peace
Obama criticises Hamas for refusing to renounce violence
Abbas willing to drop key demand for talks to resume
Read the latest summary http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/middle-east-live/2013/mar/21/barack-obama-
- BARACK OBAMA HAS WARNED THAT SETTLEMENTS BUILT BY ISRAEL
IN THE WEST BANK ARE "NOT CONSTRUCTIVE" AND DO NOT
SQUARE WITH THE TWO-STATE SOLUTION THAT THE US REMAINS COMMITTED
- Agence France-Presse and Reuters - 12:12PM GMT 21 Mar 2013
Speaking at a press conference in Ramallah alongside Palestinian
president Mahmoud Abbas, Mr Obama said he had told Israeli leader
Benjamin Netanyahu that the settlement activity was not appropriate.
- Since 1967, Israel has built dozens of settlements in the
West Bank and east Jerusalem that are now home to 560,000 Israelis
- an increase of 60,000 since Mr Obama became president.
- Mr Abbas also spoke at the press conference, telling Mr Obama
that peace with Israel should not be achieved through violence,
occupation, settlements, arrests or denial of refugee rights.
- The comments, on the second day of Mr Obama's visit to Israel,
the West Bank and Jordan, came just hours after militants in
Gaza fired two rockets at Israel. Continued: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/9945855/
- THE HOLOCAUST BOMB, A 'RE-VISIONIST MYTH'
- [EDNOTE: I did genealogy in Europe some 20 years ago
since I have an ancestor in my father's family line who was Jewish.
Jews were under tremendous persecution in Europe from the time
of Christ's crucifixion. Europeans were under the conviction
that the Jews were responsible for all the plagues and hardships
that befell the people because the Jews had allowed Jesus to
be crucified. Europe was not converted from Catholicism till
Martin Luther and Calvin who lived during the 1500th. Europeans
believed that God was angry with them. The Jews kept moving.
They destroyed their documents, changed their names, intermarried
to disappear. Most Jewish immigrants changed their names as to
not be recognized as Jews. They have problems to this day identifying
who is and who is not a Jew. I could not get one detail about
this woman who had intermarried, changed her name on the marriage
certificate etc. etc.. On the rest of my father's family I got
to 1100 a.d. There are plenty of records available on all else.
- Obama said that he doesn't plan to spend any more money on
the Israeli weaponry. They will have to buy them from the US
in the future. As it turned out Obama came with over $200,000,000.00
when he visited Israel for the first time. It seems to me they
need a new way of collecting. Germany is still paying for the
holocaust after 60 some years. The Jews could not document more
than 1,500,000 Jews to have lost their lives. WHERE WILL THE
LIES STOP? Endofnote]
Mon Mar 4, 2013 5:35AM GMT - By Gordon Duff - " ...The
various groups of Jews in the world today do not share a common
genetic origin. We are talking here about groups that are very
heterogeneous and which are connected solely by religion
genome of European Jews is a mosaic of ancient peoples and its
origin is largely Khazar.
- (Dr. EranElhaik, The Missing Link of Jewish European Ancestry:
Contrasting the Rhineland and the Khazarian Hypotheses; Department
of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of
Public Health, McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine,
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)
- One study lists up to 14 million new Jewish holocaust deaths
while the other, published by one of the most prestigious institutions
in the world, seemingly debunks the presence of any ethnic Jewish
population in Europe whatsoever.
- Changing facts to make them fit
- Thus, a world obsessed with the holocaust is
faced with a conundrum: 6 million, 20 million or, if Johns Hopkins
is correct, no members of a Jewish race perished
- A seemingly endless series of political and public relations
blunders by Israel has left them vulnerable to public scrutiny,
even in the United States, where it had been believed that the
flood of propaganda would work forever.
- Re-revising the revisionists
- Israel has decided to risk all, flooding the media with an
entirely new and totally undocumented version of the holocaust,
one intended to debunk even their own previous version and to
create a new revisionist holocaust of massive proportions.
- Today, the New York Times, with NBC News, reported by Eric
Lichtblau (light blue in German), announced the discovery
of, not only tens of thousands of new concentration camps across
Europe but added tens of millions of new victims to the previous
legally mandated tally of only 6 million.
- The finding coincides with the upcoming AIPAC convention
in Washington and is hoped to spark renewed outrage at nations
that refuse to approve of Israels ethnic cleansing and
apartheid policies. From the New York Times:
- The researchers have cataloged some 42,500 Nazi ghettos
and camps throughout Europe, spanning German-controlled areas
from France to Russia and Germany itself, during Hitlers
reign of brutality from 1933 to 1945. The lead editors on the
project, Geoffrey Megargee and Martin Dean, estimate that 15
million to 20 million people died
The existence of many
individual camps and ghettos was previously known only on a fragmented,
region-by-region basis. But the researchers, using data from
some 400 contributors, have been documenting the entire scale
for the first time, studying where they were located, how they
were run, and what their purpose was.
- The new total, up to 42,000 death camps with
gassing totals now approaching 20 million Jews, over
400% of the estimated total living in Europe at the time, has
- We didnt know, how could we?
- These findings, a total rewrite of history, a
new version far beyond the wildest dreams (nightmares) of revisionist
historians, will require the rewriting of laws across the
world, the re-education of hundreds of highly subsidized holocaust
professors and the total retooling of literally hundreds
of holocaust memorials.
- Every textbook in the world will have to be burned.
- Moreover, in addition to the hundreds of scholars and activists
imprisoned around the world for holocaust denial,
the crime of disputing the officially sanctioned 6 million
dead figure, a criminal act in dozens of nations, now those
who continue to either use the old 6 million figure
or refuse to destroy materials or censor films making reference,
also face prosecution and up to 10 years incarceration.
- Building new memorials, creating new plaques, destroying
old ones, will have to begin on a scale that may well begin a
rebuilding of Europes ravaged economies.
- Scientists around Europe, mathematicians, physicists, statisticians,
working with artists, memorial designers and architects, are
soon to be tasked with attributing the 42,000 new death
camps with needed totals.
- This will be particularly difficult as previous death
camps, such as Dachau and Auschwitz had either been reclassified
as actual prisons or had their numbers of deaths reduced by up
- In some facilities, deaths previously attributed to Jews
are now listed as largely Russian prisoners of war, Gypsies,
or political prisoners. Thus, not only will the attribution of
up to 20 million Jewish deaths be a challenge but an academic
conclave on holocaust statistics, expected to take years, is
likely to be required to make new facts fit the testimony
of unattributed informants.
- A review of current findings combined with an analysis of
post-war population figures now shows Europes Jewish minority
to actually have been quite something else. In fact, there may
well have been, as we are now seeing, more Jews in Europe than
Germans or French.
- Genome anomaly
- The Johns Hopkins study by Dr. Elhaik presents a two
edged sword of challenges. In totally debunking the mythology
of the Jewish Genome, the claimed legal basis
for citing biblical rationale for the seizure of land in Palestine,
Elhaik also assails even the use of anti-Semitism,
a term used to attack those who oppose Israeli policy.
- As studies show, as few as 2% of Jews in Palestine have any
Semitic blood, the term anti-Semite can only be applied
toward those who align themselves against the Palestinian people.
- This makes most Jews in Israel anti-Semites.
- Jew haters debunked too
- In all fairness, criticizing bizarre new wingnut conspiracies
meant to reinvigorate what Professor Normal Finkelstein called
the holocaust industry, without using a broader
brush is disingenuous.
- For every war criminal and huckster profiteering
on victimization mythology, there are now and have been for centuries,
those who have profited on demonizing a Jewish race
that they themselves have always been an equal part of. When
comparing studies of the origins of, not just Slavic but Nordic
peoples as well, the racial origins directly parallel those found
on the Johns Hopkins study. A study of the human genome
has shown there to be little difference between the Jewish
blood of a Venetian money changer and a Viking
prince. Thus, centuries of persecution, either based on attacking
Jews as Christ killers or for imagined racial characteristics
are known now to have always been baseless. As shown, only a
minute number of European Jews show any Middle Eastern origin
whatsoever, much less any direct tie to the persecution and murder
of a first century religious figure.
- The Holocaust balloon
- We had discussed Israels failures and the desperation
that would lead to the creation of a new re-revisionist
holocaust of proportions beyond any possible reason or
- A week ago, Saudi Arabia and the UAE announced they were
buying billions in German weapons in order to defend Israel from
- There have long been stories about Israel being Americas
best friend in the Middle East. Now we find that
Israel is also Saudi Arabias best friend too? Along with
the UAE, do we add Turkey, Bahrain, Qatar and how many other
countries? How long has this been going on?
- Yes, how long have so many been lying about so much?
- The United Nations vote confirming Palestinian sovereignty
removed any legal basis for Israeli occupation and settlement.
The Johns Hopkins study obliterated any biblical claim
as well. Virtually none of the Jews who settled in Israel
possesses an iota of Semitic blood.
- Even minor public relations disasters like the recent Purim
celebration where Jewish children celebrated the 9/11 terrorist
attacks as Israeli victories, are exploding the mythology of
who the real terrorists are and have always been.
- From a Press TV article by Dr. Kevin Barrett:
- For more than eleven years, Israel has been wildly
celebrating the success of its 9/11 operation against the United
States of America. The latest example: Israeli children recently
dressed up as the burning Twin Towers, complete with impaled
exploding airplanes, to celebrate the bizarre Jewish holiday
known as Purim.
- This disaster follows two more, Israels failure to
block the re-election of President Obama and Israels failure
to derail the appointment of Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense.
- Recognized enemies of Israel now control two
of the three top American offices, leaving only John Kerry, Secretary
of State, as an Israeli surrogate.
- Moreover, recent talks between Iran and the 5 plus
1 powers has brought about an agreement to begin rolling
back sanctions and to recognize, at least partially, the peaceful
aspect of Irans nuclear energy program.
- This may well signal, not just a disaster for Israel but
an end to the usefulness of so many machinations, interference
in Syria, controlling Turkeys Erdogan as a hand puppet
and orchestrating terror attacks in Iraq.
- Maybe a new, even more inflated holocaust, this time with
100 million dead, can dazzle the world.
- GD/HMV Gordon Duff is a Marine Vietnam veteran, a combat
infantryman, and Senior Editor at Veterans Today. His career
has included extensive experience in international banking along
with such diverse areas as consulting on counter insurgency,
defense technologies or acting as diplomatic representative for
UN humanitarian and economic development efforts. Gordon Duff
has traveled to over 80 nations. His articles are published around
the world and translated into a number of languages. He is regularly
on TV and radio, a popular and sometimes controversial guest.
More Press TV articles by Gordon Duff: http://www.presstv.ir/Contributors/248113.html
- HEAVY CLASHES NEAR SYRIAN BORDER WITH ISRAEL
- Regime forces shell villages along the Golan Heights; opposition
claims Assad is on the verge of losing the area
- By Elhanan Miller March 20, 2013, 9:51 pm
- Jubata Al-KhashabMas'adeSyrian government and opposition
forces clashed near the border with Israel throughout Wednesday,
with casualties reported on both sides by local activists.
- The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a London-based organization,
reported early Wednesday afternoon that regime forces had bombarded
the town of Jubata Al-Khashab, just across the armistice line
from the Israeli Druze towns of Masade and Buqata,
with no casualties. Five miles southwest of there, clashes flared
between regime and opposition forces in the villages of Khan
Arnabeh and Ofanya, with the Observatory reporting losses
on both sides.
- The municipality of Khan Arnabeh reported regime shelling
on the village Wednesday morning, causing the destruction of
at least one home. Two adults and three children were reportedly
- By evening, the Revolutionary Council of Quneitra and the
Golan, a local coordination body, declared that the opposition
had struck Syrian mortar units on the southern slopes of Mount
Hermon in a bid to break the siege of the Quneitra province.
- OBAMA SIGNS US-ISRAEL SECURITY PACT ..
- July 27, 2012 - [Ednote: There are those who believe
this might be significant which would put us into the Tribulation.
It is of course possible but ... ?? God is not haphazard about
- Daniel 9:27 - And he shall confirm the covenant with
many for one week.
Another way to read this verse from the Hebrew: (And he
shall strengthen the alliance with many for one week.)
March 20, 2013 - President Obama stated "The United States
stands with Israel because it is in our fundamental security
interests to stand with Israel. Our alliance is eternal. It is
- Coincidence? President Obama today used the pomp of the Oval
Office to sign into law the United States-Israel Enhanced Security
Cooperation Act, which the White House says will help "deepen
our security cooperation with Israel."
The pool report notes Obama signed the legislation using five
pens -- "the sort of public signing ceremony that has not
been his frequent habit since 2009."
Obama extolled the U.S.'s "unshakeable commitment to Israel,"
which he said was apparent in the legislation. He also announced
that he's authorized an additional $70 million in military assistance
to Israel for its Iron Dome, which he called critical in preventing
"We are standing by our friends in Israel when it comes
to these kinds of attacks," he said. He announced that Defense
Secretary Leon Panetta planned a trip to Israel to "further
consult and find additional ways that we can ensure such cooperation."
He ducked a question by the pool as to whether he's worried that
slowing economic growth will hurt his reelection chances and
wouldn't comment on today's new GDP figures.
The signing comes a day before Republican rival Mitt Romney is
to visit Jerusalem on his foreign policy trip, which he had hoped
to use to burnish his foreign policy credentials, but has been
overshadowed by a gaffe over the Olympics.
Minutes after the signing, the White House forwarded to reporters
a statement of support from Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren expressing
"profound gratitude to President Barack Obama on his signing
of the U.S.-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act." Read
more here: http://blogs.mcclatchydc.com/washington/2012/07/obama-signs-us-israel-
- OBAMA IN ISRAEL: OFFERS 'ETERNAL' ALLIANCE
By Mark Silva - | March 20, 2013 8:58 AM EDT The U.S. and Israel
have inextricable interests in national security and economic
prosperity, Obama said, arriving at Ben Gurion International
Airport today for the start of a three-day tour of the Middle
East including the West Bank and Jordan.
- Thats why the United States was the very first
nation to recognize the state of Israel 65 years ago,
Obama said. Thats why the Star of David and the Stars
and Stripes fly together today. And that is why Im confident
in declaring that our alliance is eternal, it is forever
- Across this region the winds of change bring both
promise and peril, said Obama, making his first visit to
Israel as president. So I see this visit as an opportunity
to reaffirm the unbreakable bonds between our nations, to restate
Americas unwavering commitment to Israels security,
and to speak directly to the people of Israel and to your neighbors.
- I want to begin right now, by answering a question
that is sometimes asked about our relationship why? Why
does the United States stand so strongly, so firmly with the
State of Israel? And the answer is simple. We stand together
because we share a common story patriots determined to
be a free people in our land, pioneers who forged a nation,
heroes who sacrificed to preserve our freedom, and immigrants
from every corner of the world who renew constantly our diverse
societies. Full story: http://go.bloomberg.com/political-capital/2013-03-20/obama-
- ISRAEL, GAZA LAUNCH HEAVIEST STRIKES SINCE TRUCE
By IAN DEITCH Associated Press The Associated Press
Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:25 PM EDT - JERUSALEM (AP)
Palestinian militants launched several rockets into southern
Israel, as Israeli aircraft struck targets in the Gaza Strip
early Wednesday in the heaviest exchange of fire between the
sides since they agreed to an internationally brokered cease-fire
- There were no casualties reported, but the violence nonetheless
threatened to shatter the calm that has prevailed for more than
four months and prompted Israel's new defense minister to warn
that the Jewish state will not sit back if militants attack the
south of the country.
- "We will not allow shooting of any sort (even sporadic)
toward our citizens and our forces," Moshe Yaalon, a former
military chief of staff, said in a statement.
- Although there was no claim of responsibility for the rockets
fired from Gaza early Wednesday, Yaalon said he holds the Islamic
militant group Hamas, which has ruled Gaza since 2007, responsible
for all such attacks from the seaside strip.
- Israel launched an offensive against Hamas last November
in response to an increase in rocket fire out of Gaza. During
eight days of fighting, Israel carried out hundreds of airstrikes
in Gaza, while Gaza militants fired hundreds of rockets into
Israel. More than 160 Palestinians, including dozens of civilians,
and six Israelis were killed in the fighting before Egypt brokered
- In recent weeks, there have been a handful of rocket attacks,
including one that took place as President Barack Obama was visiting
Israel two weeks ago. Overnight Wednesday, Israel responded for
the first time by striking a pair of empty fields in northern
and eastern Gaza. Continued: http://www.boston.com/news/world/middle-east/2013/04/03/israel-
- TIME TO THANK NETANYAHU
- Washington Post: U.S. paper says
those who prefer diplomacy over war on Iran should thank Netanyahu
for his red line speech.
- By Maayana Miskin - First Publish: 4/10/2013, 9:17 AM
- Minister Binyamin Netanyahus famous red line
speech in the United Nations helped to slow Irans nuclear
program, the Washington Post said in an editorial Tuesday.
- The latest round of talks with Iran was, by all accounts,
a disappointment, the editorial said. However, it said,
for now, at least, there is no crisis
there is time
to wait and see if Irans position will soften.
- For that, proponents of diplomacy over war with Iran
can thank a man they have often ridiculed or reviled: Israeli
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, it stated.
- In a speech to the United Nations in September, Netanyahu
drew a literal red line on Irans nuclear program, holding
up a picture of a bomb and declaring that Israel would not allow
Iran to accumulate more than 90 percent of the 20 percent enriched
uranium needed to produce a bomb with further processing.
- At the time, Iran was set to pass the red line sometime in
- Full story: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/166964
- EGYPTIAN ARMY TORTURED, KILLED CIVILIANS DURING UPRISING
- Egypt's armed forces participated in forced disappearances,
torture and killings during the 2011 uprising, a leaked report
By Elad Benari - Egypt's armed forces participated in forced
disappearances, torture and killings across the country during
the 2011 uprising which led to the ousting of former President
Hosni Mubarak, even as military leaders publicly declared their
neutrality, according to a leaked presidential report on revolution-era
- The report, submitted to President Mohammed Morsi by his
own hand-picked committee in January, has yet to be made public,
but a chapter from it seen by the British Guardian implicates
the military in a catalogue of crimes against civilians, beginning
with their first deployment to the streets.
- The chapter recommends that the government investigate the
highest ranks of the military to determine who was responsible.
- More than 1,000 people, including many prisoners, are said
to have gone missing during the 18 days of the revolt. Scores
turned up in Egypt's morgues, shot or bearing signs of torture,
according to the Guardian.
- Many have simply disappeared, leaving behind desperate families
who hope, at best, that their loved ones are serving prison sentences
that the government does not acknowledge.
- The findings of the high-level investigation, implicating
Egypt's powerful military, will put pressure on Morsi, who assumed
power from the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces after his
election in June and has declined to prosecute any officers,
despite allegations that some participated in abuse. Full story:
- NEW U.S. BUDGET INCLUDES INCREASE IN DEFENSE AID TO ISRAEL
- The planned U.S. budget for the coming year, announced by
President Obama, increases the American defense aid to Israel.
By Elad Benari The planned U.S. budget for the coming year, which
was announced by President Barack Obama on Wednesday, maintains
and even increases the American defense aid to Israel, Channel
10 News reported.
- According to the numbers published, the United States will
provide Israel with $3.4 billion in defense aid, a record number,
according to Channel 10.
- The budget proposal submitted to Congress also includes a
request for the addition of approximately $220 million to finance
the Iron Dome anti-missile defense system, a request that was
not included in last year's budget proposal, but was added later
- Israel expressed concern last month over the possibility
of a cut in the U.S. defense aid, after another crisis erupted
between Democrats and Republicans regarding the debt crisis.
- During his visit to Israel several weeks ago, Obama made
clear that despite a budget crunch in Washington there would
be no interruption to funding of Israel's Iron Dome anti-missile
system. Full story:
- US READY FOR STRIKE ON IRAN IN JUNE?
- US President Barack Obama will tell Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu that a "window of opportunity" for a military
strike on Iran will open in June. Obama will come bearing
the message that if diplomatic efforts and sanctions don't bear
fruit, Israel should "sit tight" and let Washington
take the stage, even if that means remaining on the sidelines
during a US military operation. Netanyahu will be asked to refrain
from any military action and keep a low profile, avoiding even
the mention of a strike, the report said, citing unnamed officials.
- Secretary of State John Kerry said an Iran with nuclear weapons
was "simply unacceptable" and warned the time limit
for a diplomatic solution was running out. A fresh round of high-level
diplomatic talks were set to begin in Kazakhstan - the first
since last June's meeting in Moscow failed to convince Iran to
stop enriching uranium to a level close to that used for nuclear
- Netanyahu said he enjoyed a positive relationship with the
American president, despite reports to the contrary. "We
worked together closely, closer than how it may look. We worked
together on security, diplomacy and intelligence," he said,
warning that Iran's nuclear weapons program continues unabated"
and that theyll soon have enough material to produce
a nuclear bomb." Netanyahu said earlier this month that
he and Obama had agreed on three key areas of consultation during
the presidential visit - thwarting Irans nuclear drive,
grappling with the instability in Syria and the risks of WMD
there falling into rogue hands, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Hollis Caravetta E-mail: Holliscar@aol.com
- DOES ISRAEL STILL HAVE A RIGHT TO EXIST?
- Danish-Palestinian film director Mahdi Fleifel, who was awarded
the Berlin International Film Festivals annual Peace Prize,
provoked controversy after publicly questioning Israel's legitimacy
and right to exist. Fleifel publically said at the Q&A session
following the ceremony that he did not recognize Jewish legitimacy
in the Land of Israel and made a plea for Palestinian refugees
to be granted the right of return, The European Jewish Press
- In an interview with Die Welt correspondent Igal Avidan,
Fleifel said the idea of a Jewish state is ridiculous
adding that no state should have its foundation based on any
form of religion. G-d was not a real-estate agent who divided
up countries based on religion, he said. The jury of the
Peace Film Award (PFA) honored Fleifel's autobiographical documentary,
A World Not Ours, for its social-political
and humanistic background.
- The film, title inspired by the novel of Palestinian activist
Ghassan Kanafani, takes viewers though the routine of every day
life at his family's hometown at the Ain El-Helweh
"refugee camp" in Lebanon. Jury-members were impressed
with Fleifel's depictions of hopelessness and isolation...
free from the unusual patterns classifying the conflicts between
Israelis and Palestinians, according to EJP. The jury recognized
Fleifel's film as a plea for a new peace process in the
Middle East... at a time where more and more people around the
world have to live in refugee camps. Israeli Berlin correspondent
Eldad Beck told the European Jewish publication that he was disgusted
with the overtly anti-Israeli undertone of the film,
which would likely be seen as harmless by the average viewer.
- Hollis Caravetta E-mail: Holliscar@aol.com
- ARABS PUT THE SPIN ON JERUSALEM:
- The Arab League on Tuesday approved a Qatari proposal to
set up a $1 billion fund for Arab East Jerusalem, which Palestinians
want as the capital of an independent state under any peace deal
with Israel. Arabs say that Israeli settlement-building on land
captured in the 1967 Middle East war, including Arab East Jerusalem,
has made a two-state solution backed by the United States unfeasible.
Qatar's emir, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, said his country
will contribute $250 million to the fund, which he called for
in an opening speech to an Arab summit in Doha that focused on
the crisis in Syria and stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts.
"The summit... calls for setting up a fund to support Jerusalem
to the value of $1 billion to finance projects and programs that
would maintain the Arab and Islamic character of the city and
reinforce the steadfastness of its people," the draft resolution
- The Islamic Development Bank, based in Saudi Arabia's Red
Sea city of Jeddah, will manage the fund, it said. Palestinian
President Mahmoud Abbas welcomed the fund to help protect the
Arab character of the city and urged Arab states to contribute
to it. "The Israeli occupation is working in a systematic
and hurried way to Judaize East Jerusalem, change its features
and uproot its Palestinian inhabitants, attacking the al-Aqsa
Mosque and its Muslim and Christian holy sites," Abbas said
in a speech at the summit. Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman
Yigal Palmor said the initiative was "a badge of shame"
- "Objecting to 'Judaization of Jerusalem,' so to speak,
is absurd and is equitable to an objection to the Catholic nature
of the Vatican or the Islamization of Mecca, it is naturally
unthinkable," Palmor said. The fate of Jerusalem has proved
one of the thorniest sticking points in past Middle East peace
negotiations. Citing Jewish biblical ties to the holy city, Israel
annexed the Arab eastern half and its surroundings in 1980 in
a move rejected by the United Nations Security Council. The Palestinian
Authority, which administers parts of the Israeli-occupied West
Bank, is in deep financial crisis.
- The United States promised $500 million in aid to the PA,
and Israel pledged to resume transferring $100 million in monthly
tax revenue it collects on the Palestinians' behalf. Qatar's
emir did not say if the proposed Arab fund would be channeled
to the PA, whose writ does not run in East Jerusalem. About 200,000
Israelis live in the annexed Arab part of Jerusalem, including
more than 1,000 in and around the mostly Arab Old City. Palestinian
officials are skeptical of Arab aid pledges, as few Arab countries
carried through on promises last year to cover a Palestinian
funding gap aggravated by Israeli sanctions. Last year Arab donations,
including $200 million from Saudi Arabia, constituted almost
half the PA's foreign aid, with the United States and European
Union providing around $330 million.
- "As we've have seen many times before, unfortunately
decisions in Arab summits often do not materialize on the ground,"
said Ghassan Shaka, a senior member of the Palestine Liberation
Organization. "Financing is just a means, political help
is the important thing," he said. "The Arab world must
convince and apply pressure so the world knows what's required
for peace." Hollis Caravetta E-mail: Holliscar@aol.com